iButton – 1wire contact chips
- Durable metalic contact chip
- 2 types: passive and memory/active
- Fast reading
Passive chip DS1990 – F5
Device is a computer chip enclosed in a 16mm thick stainless steel can. Because of this unique and durable container, up-to-date information can travel with a person or object anywhere they go. The steel iButton device can be mounted virtually anywhere because it is rugged enough to withstand harsh environments, indoors or outdoors. It is small and portable enough to attach to a key fob, ring, watch, or other personal items, and be used daily for applications such as access control to buildings and computers, asset management, and various data logging tasks.
An iButton device uses its stainless steel ‘can’ as an electronic communications interface. Each can has a data contact, called the ‘lid’, and a ground contact, called the ‘base’. Each of these contacts is connected to the silicon chip inside. The lid is the top of the can; the base forms the sides and the bottom of the can and includes a flange to simplify attaching the button to just about anything. The two contacts are separated by a polypropylene grommet.
THE 1-WIRE INTERFACE
By simply touching the iButton device to the two contacts described above, you can communicate with it through our 1-Wire® protocol.
HOW DURABLE IS AN iButton CHIP?
The silicon chip within the iButton device is protected by the ultimate durable material: stainless steel. You can drop an iButton device, step on it, or scratch it. The iButton device is wear-tested for 10-year durability.
The iButton® serial number (DS1990A) is a rugged data carrier that serves as an electronic registration number for automatic identification. Data is transferred serially through the 1-Wire® protocol, which requires only a single data lead and a ground return. Every DS1990A is factory lasered with a guaranteed unique 64-bit registration number that allows for absolute traceability. The durable stainless-steel iButton package is highly resistant to environmental hazards such as dirt, moisture, and shock. Its compact coin-shaped profile is self-aligning with mating receptacles, allowing the DS1990A to be used easily by human operators. Accessories enable the DS1990A to be mounted on almost any object, including containers, pallets, and bags.
- Can Be Read in Less Than 5ms
- Operating Range: 2.8V to 6.0V, -40°C to +85°C
- Common iButton Features
- Unique Factory-Lasered 64-Bit Registration Number Ensures Error-Free Device Selection and Absolute Traceability Because No Two Parts are Alike
- Built-In Multidrop Controller for 1-Wire Net
- Digital Identification by Momentary Contact
- Data Can Be Accessed While Affixed to Object
- Economically Communicates to Bus Master with a Single Digital Signal at 16.3kbps
- Button Shape is Self-Aligning with Cup-Shaped Probes
- Durable Stainless-Steel Case Engraved with Registration Number Withstands Harsh Environments
- Easily Affixed with Self-Stick Adhesive Backing, Latched by its Flange, or Locked with a Ring Pressed Onto its Rim
Memory/Active chip DS1996 – F5 (64Kb memory chip)
is a rugged read/write data carrier that acts as a localized database that can be easily accessed with minimal hardware. The nonvolatile memory offers a simple solution to storing and retrieving vital information pertaining to the object to which the iButton device is attached. Data is transferred serially via the 1-Wire® protocol which requires only a single data lead and a ground return. The scratchpad is an additional page that acts as a buffer when writing to memory. Data is first written to the scratchpad where it can be read back. After the data has been verified, a copy scratchpad command will transfer the data to memory. This process ensures data integrity when modifying the memory. A 48-bit serial number is factory lasered into each DS1996 to provide a guaranteed unique identity which allows for absolute traceability. The durable MicroCan package is highly resistant to environmental hazards such as dirt, moisture, and shock. Its compact button-shaped profile is self-aligning with mating receptacles, allowing the DS1996 to be easily used by human operators. Accessories permit the DS1996 to be mounted on almost any surface including plastic key fobs, photo-ID badges and printed circuit boards. Applications include access control, work-in-progress tracking, electronic travelers, storage of calibration constants, and debit tokens.
This product contains lithium-metal batteries. See applicable regulations for transport requirements for batteries in equipment.
- 65,536 bits of read/write nonvolatile memory
- Overdrive mode boosts communication speed to 142 kbits per second
- 256-bit scratchpad ensures integrity of data transfer
- Memory partitioned into 256-bit pages for packetizing data
- Data integrity assured with strict read/write protocols
- Operating temperature range from -40°C to +70°